- Wrote about 650 words in Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, mostly in an outline
- Read more of The Knight—only two chapters left now
- Found out on Facebook that my sister-in-law has renamed her pear jam “Patrick Pear jam”—I can only assume this is because I’m an incessant evangelist for the stuff (seriously, try it on pork chops)
- Tried to decide if that’s better than Pat Potato, or if it’s a lateral move
- Biked into town, ostensibly to get sunglasses (since I dropped mine in the lake last night while I was kayaking) and ended up tooling around for almost 10 km (I did get sunglasses, though it took a while to find a pair that weren’t a) women’s or b) camo)
- Wrote another 1,300 words in Daniel, Daniel, Daniel; I seem to have something to aim at again
- Kayaked for about 45 minutes, this time with a camera (see the panorama at the top)
Here’s a quick snippet of some of the writing recently:
Church bake sale (Make pie!)
Even though it was written in red ink, exclamation-pointed, circled thrice, and marked with an orange highlighter, she forgot and had to take store-bought cookies that she unpacked onto paper plates and covered in plastic wrap while she sat in the parking lot, furthest from the door, hoping no one would look in her car’s windows and catch her at it.
She gave him a card dripping with sappy sentiment, because she was, after all, his mother. Also a mug she’d found online with a bird on it, cussing about meetings, that she thought matched his sardonic, offbeat humour.
George + Judith (Anniversary)
Judith got a card, too. She was still family, even if she and June hadn’t spoken since the funeral. June knew she had stuff to work through – they both did – and also that everyone grieves in their own way.From the first draft of “Dried Flowers”
This is my last full day here at the cabin. I’ll be cleaning up and packing tomorrow, and heading home.
Series: Writing Retreat 2020The entire series: Writing Retreat 2020; Writing Retreat 2020, Day 1 & 2; Writing Retreat 2020, Day 3; Writing Retreat, Day 4; Writing Retreat 2020, day 5; Writing Retreat 2020, Day 6; Writing Retreat 2020, Day 7; Writing Retreat 2020, Day 8; Writing Retreat 2020, Day 9; Writing Retreat 2020: The Numbers.
Interested in prints of my photos? Let me know, and we can work something out.