Click through for the whole album.
I could see them already while I was still in the city. By the time I got to my nice, dark spot, this is what I could photograph:
They stretched from the northeast to the southwest. They were bright enough for a while that I could watch them dancing with the naked eye. The last time I remember seeing them this bright, I was a teenager in Ste. Rose, lying on the grass, looking up.
Also: a video version:
An hour of my evening well-spent, I’d say.
For Christmas, Kathleen and I bought my mother a trip out west, to Alberta, to visit relatives. We went along with her. You know, to make sure she behaved.
Some of the places we visited:
The Calgary Zoo.
For those that can’t read my scrawl:
- Butterfly [A little girl in purple. It was her first Hallowe’en, I’m guessing, since her mom was videotaping the whole thing, and, as she walked away from my door, I heard her say, I got candy!]
- Princess w/ parka [because this is Canada]
- Baby [ie, no costume]
- Parka-clad werewolf
- Nerd [with a big wad of tape holding her glasses together at the nose — oh, the memories]
- 2 witches
- Black Queen [Spades? Clubs?]
- Blue Man
- Burlesque Hat Gal [Couldn’t see much costume — parka — but she had one one of those miniature top hats burlesque performers wear (fascinators?)]
- Princess in parka
- Creepy Clown
- Zombie [These last two were quite a bit older — late teens — and showed up just before 9 o’clock]
At 9:45 PM I shut off the outside lights and called it a night.
And now, if you’ll pardon me, there’s a Wunderbar with my name on it. Mmmmmmmm, leftover candy.
Yesterday I saw this great photo of two Lego jets, the A-6 Intruder and the EA-6B Prowler:
…which reminded me of my halcyon days as an Air Cadet, attending Air Studies1 Camp in Penhold, Alberta. My Air Studies flight2 was named “Prowler Flight” for the EA-6B Prowler, which was the Electronic Warfare version of the A-6 Intruder.
Back then I didn’t think anything of the nomenclature, but now it strikes me as a little… creepy. I have to wonder, is there a plane out there code-named “Stalker”?
I headed out of town, hoping to catch Mars and Saturn before they set. I didn’t have a lot of time, and when I got to a decent dark spot, the view wasn’t great, and highway traffic to the south would have outshined the planets in any event.
Then I turned around, to face the north.
My disappointment faded away.